Canadian Experience Class (CEC) 

Skilled Worker Visa

Business Visa for Canada 

Canada Family Visa 

 Student Visa 

Canada Temporary Resident Visa 

Canadian Citizenship 

Temporary Work Visa For Canada 

Canadian Experience Class (CEC) 

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is an immigration category for foreign workers who have completed at least one year of skilled work experience in Canada within the last three years and who wish to become permanent residents. 


Canadian Experience Class applications are processed through the Express Entry system. Eligible candidates need to first create an online Express Entry profile and receive an invitation to apply before they may make an application for permanent residency. 


CEC is an ideal route to Canadian permanent residency for temporary foreign workers including international students. Having obtained Canadian work experience, these individuals get a “head start” against other candidates in the Express Entry pool as it is a highly-valued factor under the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). 


In order to be eligible to apply under CEC, applicants must meet the following minimum requirements. They must: 


  • Have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equivalent in part-time) skilled, professional or technical work experience one or more occupations classified as skill type 0, A or B under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) in Canada within the last three years of making application; 
  • Meet the required language proficiency level equivalent to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of 7 if their job falls under NOC 0 or A or 5 if their job falls under NOC B; and 
  • Plan on living and working outside the province of Quebec. 


Applicants can remain in Canada throughout the application process. However, the Canadian Experience Class is also open to individuals who are no longer in Canada, provided that they submit their application within six months of leaving their job in Canada. 


The Canadian Experience Class is a popular option for international students with at least one year of skilled, professional or technical work experience. It offers them the fastest and most simple path to achieving permanent residence after completing a program or course of study at a Canadian educational institution and acquiring required work experience. 

The point to be noted here is that the work experience gained through self-employment and while you were a full-time student does not count under this program. 


Canadian Experience Class – How to apply 

Step 1:  Obtain a Canadian work permit 

Step 2: Work in Canada for at least a year 

Step 3: Make sure you meet other eligibility criteria 

Step 4: Create an Express Entry profile 

Step 5: Receive an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residence 

Step 6: Complete a medical exam with an IRCC-recognized panel physician & provide police clearance certificate and submit an e-application 

Step 7: Receive confirmation of permanent resident status